Tuesday, July 28, 2009

July 28th

The Emergency Room here is much different than ones that we are used to. There were four of us in the room. My boy, and three others. There were not only four because that were all that needed to be in there- but the room only had space for four kids.The girl on the table next to ours was laying motionless. The doctor ran over and began to shake her "girl! girl!! girl!!!"- no response. What is happening to her? Is she alive? Finally she made a small noise- just barely audible- but loud enough to know that there was still life. The doctor yelled for someone to bring blood. A bag of blood was brought and they hooked it up like an IV drip. I watched as they frantically checked to see if the blood transfer was working. It wasn't. After a minute or so, they disconnected the bag, yelling that the bag of blood was expired. They rushed to get another bag of blood to try to save this girls life. The doctor looked at me and my boy appoligetically. "I will be with you in a moment, I hope you understand that I am trying to save this girls life.". I nodded. My boy, Faizal, wasn't doing well- but he was not as bad off as this girl. My eyes filled with tears as I watched this young eight year old girl on the line between life and death. Her dad was standing over her watching helplessly.
As they continued to work on this girl, a mother with her 1 day old baby stood behind me. Another doctor came in and started to try to help her. The baby's chest was rising and falling at an incredible speed. I have never seen anything like it. I don't know what was wrong. I don't know why she was breathing so fast. The hooked her up to oxygen. Another woman brought her young baby in. She opened the blankets wrapped around her baby, and I heard her start to cry as the doctor gasped at the sight of the babies intestines being outside of the baby. My boy was probably in the best condition out of all of them. They put him on a drip, and then transfered him to a ward.
Faizal is still in the hospital, but he is doing better now. He can walk, eat, laugh, and stay awake now. He can sit up on his own. He has come a long way since we got him admitted. Thank you God for watching over him! Please pray that he will continue to get better.
While Faizal seems to be doing better, I wonder about those other children I saw. Are they okay? Did they make it? What happened to that little baby....? And that eight year old girl? ...........How do you process something like that? Each of those are a human life! A life. Someone's daughter, someone's son. Words don't adequately expain...

No comments:

Post a Comment